What What in the...

But for my end of year project I wanted to something that i would enjoy doing for 8 weeks and something that was live. Initially when we first got the brief aaages ago I was set on doing an art event/ club night where there would be performance art with the like of some noise bands and maybe a little exhibition then some shape throwing. But after 3 weeks of easter being in London I realised that i couldn't put on a night and and promote it in 4 weeks. (1) I didn't know any noise bands or performance artists (2) I didn't have a venue, and i didn't want a venue I wanted a dirty dingy basement thats was big enough, but i didn't have that. and (3) I didn't know Leeds well enough to accomplish this yet, it is my first year here. But there is always next time.

Anyway I changed my mind and decided to create my own brand of clothing. Why? Because I made my own t-shirts and I made some for friends and then friends of friends liked what I was doing, so why not do it and make some gash while I'm at it.
I've always been interested in fashion mainly street wear and I check highsnobiety and hypebeast on a regular basis to see whats going on in the world. I make one off designs for anything made out of cotton but generally just jumpers and t-shirts. I hand cut them and press them so it takes a few hours per garment. Its generally based around geometric shapes but now that I have learned how to layer I'm gearing towards doing illustrated images.

The hardest part about creating a brand was coming up with the brand name I came up with names but they were already taken but I finally decided on MITZVAH a hebrew word that means commandment or good deed. It doesn't sound as nice as I would like but it looks good as a logo.




No comments: